RE: midget to mgb spare

To: "Todd Mullins" <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>,
Subject: RE: midget to mgb spare
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 01:49:55 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-mgs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Todd Mullins
Sent:   Tuesday, March 04, 1997 2:18 PM
To:     GOFASTMG@aol.com
Cc:     mgs

GOFASTMG@aol.com writes:

>   But, You could still use the 13 for a spare on the B (or 14 on the TR6 (or
> better yet, leave the TR6 on the side of the road)).  If you had a flat on
> the front, put a rear on the front, and run the 13 on the rear.

Nope.  Not for any distance.  This is exactly what I was referring to in
my previous message.  Differing tire diameters on the driven axle
overworks the differential, sometimes with disastrous results.  If you
have a limited-slip it's even more grevious.

I have heard unconfirmed reports of complete differential failure in
such cases, sometimes even involving halfshaft separation!  If you MUST
do this, drive slowly and proceed directly to a tire shop.

(And let's drop the marque-bashing, shall we?)

Face it - he has a point - leaving the Triumph on the side of the road works
for me (tee hee - tee hee - tee hee)!!!!

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer in pieces (but getting there)
'72 MGB Tourer parts-o-rama

"I could go at any time..."