6V to 12V battery conversion -Reply

To: mpowell@cstone.net
Subject: 6V to 12V battery conversion -Reply
From: Bert Otten <Bert.Otten@nni.nl>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 15:03:58 +0100
>>> Mike Powell <mpowell@cstone.net> 97-03-06  13:37 >>>wrote:

I'm thinking of putting a single 12V battery in my '74 B roadster--the DPO
has already sort of made this conversion but by means of a huge 12V
battery
in the trunk.  I'd like to put a battery in the right-hand battery
compartment behind the seat, but don't know what size will fit.  Has
anyone
done this, and if so could you recommend a battery size that fits in there?

Mike,

the aperture of a single battery box is 7.5" (190mm)  x 8" (200 mm) with a
dept of 10" in an MGB. I don't know what it is but I've heard in this group
that a so-called  group 26 battery will fit.

When I did the conversion I tried to find the strongest battery which
would fit. Turned out to be a Varta 52 Ah battery. Works fine. Even after
one month standing still with a temperature of 14 F  engine fires right up.

Bert Otten
'66 B