Re: MGB oil pressure limits

To: craigw@sonic.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB oil pressure limits
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 23:00:08 -0500 (EST)
Craig,

I don't think you have a problem.

I assume that this is a moderate to high mileage engine. Oil pressure doesn't
necessarily relate to oil burning. A rule of thumb for adequate oil pressure
is 10# per 1,000 RPM. You obviously have well above this minimum.

If you wanted to, you could put the car up on jack stands, pull the pan and
put in new rod, main and thrust bearings in a day. If the crank looks
respectable, this would only cost you about $60 for the bearings, $5.00 for
the pan gasket and $10 for oil and filter. You WILL need to borrow a
micrometer to check the crank for roundness. The bearing size should be
stamped on the outside of the bearings. The main bearings are "rolled" into
place without removing the crank.

Personally, I'd keep a little higher viscosity oil in it and drive it. I use
50W Valoline in the summer and 10W-30 in the winter.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget