Re: Steam Cleaning (?)

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steam Cleaning (?)
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 23:00:34 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-07 18:33:57 EST,
joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com writes:

<< Would steam cleaning the engine bay of my car at one of those coin-op car
washes
 cause any damage to the paint, mechanical or electrical stuff on my car?  I
was
 thinking it would be an easy way to tidy it up a bit. The paint is fine,
it's
 just a little dirty.  And wiping around all those hoses and wires would be a

 major pain.  Thanks for your advice.

 Joseph
 67 B >>

Joseph,

Go ahead and do it IF your ignition wires are in reasonably good shape.
Otherwise buy a new set first (replacing them one at a time).

Leave the car running. This is insurance against cracking the exhaust
manifold. Try not to blast directly on the distributor, this will kill it for
sure. Have a clean dry paper towel with you and be ready to pull off the
distributor cap if you do kill it or if it runs poorly after cleaning.

Be sure to rinse the soap off with a regular or preferably "soft" rinse.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget