Re: MGB coil spring free height

To: MG NEWSGROUP <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB coil spring free height
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com (by way of Gregg Baker <gbaker@customcpu.com>)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 13:28:04 -0900

<< I'm trying to find the free height of new coil springs for a
chrome-bumpered
 MGB. >>

Rich,
  According to the Haynes Manual, the coil spring free height is;

  Early Models (18G & 18GA----------------------9.9 in (251.4mm)
   Early Models (18GB)------------------------------9.1 in {+/-.06 in} (231,
+/-1.5 mm)
  Tourer from model # 293446---------------------10.2, +/- .06 in
(259.08.+/-1.5 mm)
  G T from model # 296196-------------------------9.32 /-.06 in  237, /-
1.5mm)

Hope this helps

Rick Morrison

Rich,
  I'm not sure that the free height determins accurately the "health" of the
springs.  I looked into having the coils measured as to resistance at a good
local "spring only" shop and they said they couldn't and that the free height
means very little.  I've also heard the coil spring almost never wear out.
Baker