Ignition coils and SUs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ignition coils and SUs
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 17:32:05 -0600
Quick question:
Do ignition coils just stop all of a sudden(no more spark)?
If you car doesn't start and you crank it for a a few minutes in 5
seconds spurts, does it ever flood, or do you ever smell gas?

Having problems getting the car started and I haven't checked the
ignition yet, cause it's dark outside.  I don't smell any gas, except
for some on the plugs when I yanked them to check for fouling.

I know it's either gas or ignition.  I was able to get it started after
a few minutes, but it ran really rough, hinting me to ignition.  I
assume I'm heading in the right direction.  I'm thinking of just yanking
some of the old ignition components(ignition coil, points, cap, rotor),
and just replacing them all at once.  They are really old, and I know
the coil is as old as the car(it's a '70).  What do you guys think?  I
don't have any place except a parking garage to work in, I have no time
because Finals are coming up, so I figured rip-out and replace is the
way to go.

Jay
--
Jurgen Hartwig
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0003a