Re: Ignition coils and SUs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ignition coils and SUs
From: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 08:56:04 +0100
     While ignition coils can go south suddenly, an open in the HT circuit
     won't neccessarily cause it to be non functional. This is because we
     have very high voltages available, and, if it takes a couple of
     hundred volts to jump across an open circuit in the coil, it really
     makes little difference to overall performance.

     Of course if the LT circuit is open, it won't work.

     When I worked for Lucas, I was told (but I never verified) that the
     spec allowed for 3 breaks in the HT windings -- the ends of the wires
     would be twisted together and if there was not an electrical contact,
     there was enough voltage to break down (short across) the insulation
     around the wire.

     Regards,
             Simon