TSO/Bulletin

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TSO/Bulletin
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 14:06:23 -0500
>From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
>Subject: Re: The Sacred Octagon/The Bulletin

With my note to Geoff ending this thread is the followi sent earlier to
Terry.  hope this concludes the matter.
Mike

>>Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 10:38:45 -0500
>>To: TATERRY@aol.com, engconn@infi.net
>>From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
>>Subject: Re: The Sacred Octagon/The Bulletin

Terry, nicely said. As you note, I thought my detailed reply was private.
It is interesting, that you are looking for historical articles, and Geoff,
more tech. Its hard to please all , but I am with you.

You put Dick's personality in very good prospective. Those on this list
from Maine, will understand better than most.

The accounting bit is hard to tackle. Every year the Register puts out a
detailed accounting and budget at the Natter. As one can guess, most of the
funds go to TSO. The budget and treasurer's report is handed out, and
Barbara publishes it in the local Newsletter, as do others. ( This year
because of the flu she has missed an issue) . When the MGCC came across on
their raid, they accused the Register of not having a budget, or giving an
accounting. They spread most of the rumors about Dick's great wealth. The
further from the Northeast one was, the less they knew the facts, and it
doesn't surprise me that Dick's reputation in the South and West never
recovered. One only has to see his home in Oneonta to end that rumor. Most
of that small house is filled with memorabilia, old publications and
collections of MG whatever.

When I was sent to England  by all the U.S. Registers, to address the then
Board of Directors of the MGCC, they made the same statements about Dick.
They didn't believe what I told them, or about the budget and accounting.
When I asked to see the MGCC budget and accounting, they turned white and
admitted they hadn't done one. (This was part of the scandal that forced
them all out 6months latter.)

As to Dick's use of club funds unauthorized, I don't think so. He drives to
most events in his beat up TC. I wouldn't drive his car, as I think it
isn't safe. He usually does get one of the curtesy rooms at a GOF, but only
if their is no guest at the event.  So what, he works weeks to put the
event on. He is paid a modest fee to offset costs to him on TSO etc,all
voted by the board.

All of this discussion has greatly upset me. I have stayed away from
controversy on this list for it only breeds more controversy and reaction.
I do feel a person's reputation is worth more than anything else, and I did
react to it. That's me, and I am that way and only something like this
could get me to react. I think that it is good trait. The real thing we
leave behind after we go is our reputation, and to attack a man's
reputation without the facts is the worse sin.

Again , thanks for putting this into prospective
Mike