Re: Why British (German) (French) (Jap)

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Why British (German) (French) (Jap)
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@dynanet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:37:56 -0500
> I am a first generation LBC fanatic.  The cars in my family were strictly
> utilitarian, a series of station wagons.  I remember buying "Road &
Track" and
> reading every word cover to cover.

Hmm, I am not.  I am the youngest LBC owner in the greater Philadelphia
area
:-), I think that is a pretty cool acomplishment.

> At 16, 1969, my first car was a  brown 1962 MGA (not the original color).
 My
> older brother and I immediately stripped it down and painted it (with a
> homemade compressor) BRG.  The solid walnut dash my brother made, made it
one
> of a kind, at least to me.  Unfortunately,  within a year, the crank
broke
> and the engine sat it pieces on the garage floor for 9 months until we
located
> a replacement.  I put the new (used) crank in without the benefit of any
> machine work or new bearings.  We had to tow it up and down the road in
gear to
> get the engine to turn over. Left a lot of rubber on the road.  But after
it
> started the first time it never missed a beat.  Even had some power.

Ohh, a MGA.  I want one, but I want other things too.  Unfortunatly I have
an MGB, and money (too bad I don't have any money for my MGB).  I am glad
you aren't rebuilding my engine :-) j/k.

> Sorry for the brutality, but hey, I was 17, broke and didn't know any
better.
> Had already replaced it as transportation , with a 63 VW, so I had to
sell it
> for the money. Loved to know if it is still around.  Shouldn't be to many
MGA's
> with a custom Walnut dash.

I guess I will make the same mistakes.  Hell, maybe I will manage to get
the Lucas electrical system to blow up in my face.

> I now have a 72' or 74', the history is fuzzy, MGB.  I bought it as a
project 5
> years ago and hope to have it on the road this spring.

5 years, I wish I could do mine in 2.  I am still striping my damn car down
1 peice at a time, I think I have put about 20 hours into the thing in like
9 months.  Hmm, maybe I am losing Interest, but I don't think so.  It is
just that I don't have the time, when I do it will be done.  Oh, my dad
said the car had to be out of the driveway by May 17, 98.  So if my MG
isn't roadworthy by then I think I will sell it and get a TR.  Or a
Porsche.

> I don't know where my interest came from, but I'm hooked for life.

I know where my Interest came from, siting in an Austin Healey for an hour.
 I guess I am hooked for life.  But I am also a little scared about
restoring my car.

I have always had a profound interest in cars, maybe not restoring them,
but in cars.  My first words where "zwei auspuf" or something like that,
for those of you who didn't take German in High School it means two exhaust
pipes.  And yes I probally did spell it wrong.  Another word, I was told I
liked was Mitsubishi, I don't know why I like Jap cars, but I guess it was
quite an accomplish ment for a 2 1/2 year old to say a 4 sylabile (sp)
word.

Last year, in French class we had to write a childrens book in French, I
did it on  MGAs.  Here is an exerpt:

        "Il est une MGA.
        Une MGA est une anglais vioture.
        Une MGA est rapide.
        Beacoup nouvelle viotures est rapide, aussi.
        Qu’ils sont rapide, ces viotures.
        Une MGA est aussi une automobile de course.
        La MGA est naturellement attiree par le circuit.
        Une MGA a participe a de nombreux rallyes.
        MGAs race a Le Mans.
        MGAs race a de la Mille Miglia.
        MGAs entrer dans beacoup coleurs.
        Une MGA grun coupe.
        Une MGA rouge convertible.
        Une MGA noire coupe.
        Une MGA bleu convertible.
        Une MGA jaune coupe chez une grand moteur.
        Une MGA orange convertible.
        Une MGA marron coupe.
        Une MGA pink convetible.
        Une MGA blanche coupe.
        Une MGA poupre convertible.
        La Triumph est la MGA ennemi dans une race.
        La Austin-Heally est la MGA ennemi dans une race.
        La blanche et rouge.
        Il va gagner.
        Une MGA en cours de restoration.
        Une MGA  parfaite etat d’origine.
        Une MGA serie speciale.
        Une MGA  chez une moteur 4 cylinders.
        Une MGA tres bon etat general.
        Une MGA chez air conditione.
        Une MGA chez une restauration mecanique et carrosserie.
        Une MGA chez une boite manuelle.
        La MGA est magnifique."

Barney, should find the part about "automobile de course" interesting.  I
think Barney's car is the one that inspired me to write this.  Has anyone
ever seen a pink or purple MGA?

I won't translate it because je desteste francais.  I know there are
mistakes all thru it.

Regards,

KMR

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@dynanet.com