Sebring treatment legality etc

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sebring treatment legality etc
From: charles hamilton <chamil9120@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:20:49 +0000
hey

My roomate is currently restoring a 77 B he recently acquired. He is
interested in giving it the "sebring treatment" by removing the bumpers,
smoothing out the front and rear lower contours and installing the clear
headlight covers. I'm more of a purist myself but it is his car and I do
like the way some cars (like 2002's) look w/o bumpers.  Does anyone out
there have experience with this type of body treatment?  Are there any
pictures on the web with b's done up this way? Also what are the legal
implications of the headlight covers and removed bumpers.  Currently in VA
if that matters.  Will he have to install something like the "nerf bars"
they use on trick bugs?  Also I think I am going to trade him the freshly
rebuilt engine and '75 OD tranny that is in my (rusting beyond salvation)
73B for his tired out lump and some much needed cash.  His old engine in my
car will still give me my LBC fix ... and I can just drive it 'till it gives
up.

If any of you remember, this time last year I was in quite a quandry as to
what to do w/ my B:
1] invest several grand into the necessary metalwork to reincarnate my cars
body (unfortunately I just don't have the time to do it myself, although
sans painting I'm sure I could (with a little help from my friends))
2] track down a solid inexpensive body shell and swap in my good drivetrain, or
3] unload the car all together.

Well, I opted for option 2 and bought an '85 Saab 900 (for a song) to drive
in the interim (and haul my bikes n stuff around) but couldn't find a body
shell that was in my price and travel range.  Unfotunately the Saab was
sacrificed in June saving me from injury when I was run off of the inerstate
and did several front flips at 60 mph.  So, I drove the B exclusively 'till
november and picked up an 84 Nissan Maxima (for an even sweeter song).  I am
suprized how much I really like to drive this (big) car, but perhaps the
2.4L fuel injected straight 6, 5 speed, rear drive, performance supension, 4
wheel disks, and lots of electronic comforts and gadgetry that suprizingly
still work helps.

Anyway it will be hard to see the drivetrain go after I put so much work
into it, but it will be in a nicely restored car.. just across the driveway.

Sorry to rant on so, and thanks for any info on the sebring stuff

chris

PS if anyone would like any ideas as to how to easily carry a couple of
bikes on your B let me know

MUSIC|MOUNTAINBIKES|MGS|MUSIC|MOUNTAINBIKES|MGS|MUSIC|MOUNTAINBIKES

    Chris Lenth
    208 Wilson Avenue
    Blacksburg, VA  24060
    5409510705 h|w 5402315219
    woodcomp@vt.edu

MUSIC|MOUNTAINBIKES|MGS|MUSIC|MOUNTAINBIKES|MGS|MUSIC|MOUNTAINBIKES