Re: Ignition light Problem

To: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>, MGS-Digest <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ignition light Problem
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 20:03:37 GMT

> REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER wrote:
> >
> > Check the ground cable from your engine to the chasis and the ground =
cable
> > from the battery to the chasis. One of them has probably degraded to =
point
> > where they do not allow enough current to start the car with the ligh=
ts on.
> > Terminals might be corroded. This stuff is cheap to replace, it might=
 be
> > worth it to just replace them and see if it fixes the problem. How =
old is
> > your battery? Is it possible that it is going bad and cannot hold eno=
ugh
> > charge? (generally, I don't believe you should put your car through =
the
hell
> > of trying to start with the headlights on. First start then turn them=
 on
and
> > your car will be happier)
> >
> > Chris Reichle
>
> To add to this thread, it is a GOOD idea to every year or so do the
> following: 1) disconnect the high tension lead at the coil so the engin=
> will not start. 2) have a set of jumper cables handy. 3) connect ONE =
of
> the cables to a good ground on the CHASSIS at one end and hold the othe=
> end. 4) while a friend cranks the starter from inside the car, clamp =
the
> end you're holding to a good contact on the ENGINE. 5) if there is a
> noticeable increase in cranking speed, you need to replace your engine
> grounding strap. Another "quick and dirty" way to check is to feel your
> choke cable right after starting your engine. If it is warm you have =
> poor ground.  Jarl

Another trick is to disconnect the coil, connect a multi-meter on a low =
voltage
range with one terminal connected to the battery post (not ground) and =
one to
the solenoid terminal with the thick cable and crank the engine.  Then =
do it
again with the meter connected to the other battery post (ground this tim=
e) and
the starter body.  Remember to use the battery post and not the connector=
.  If
you get more than about a quarter of a volt in either case you have a
high-resistance connection, checking the volt drop at various points in =
each
circuit will establish the worst offenders, in my case they were the batt=
ery
strap to body connection (corrosion) and the engine strap to crankcase =
(paint).
Cleaning just those two made a huge difference to the cranking speed.

PaulH
73 Roadster HD&H
75 V8 DD