Re: Problems here?

To: "Ronald Marthaller" <Ronald_Marthaller@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Problems here?
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:36:44 -0800
Hi Ron. My B has done the same thing off and on. But, when I've noticed
that kind of smell, I'd check the oil filler cap and sure enough, there
would be a slimy green sludge on it, meaning I was getting seepage into the
oil chambers. I'd tighen up the head to spec and the problem would go away.
My coolant level was changing slightly, though, so it was a bit more obvious.
I visited Fargo a couple of years ago. My dad still has farmland in and
around Sheldon, ND which is SW of Fargo by about 35 miles. Dad was born in
Sheldon in 1916, and still returns twice a year to check on things. Of
course, I thought ND to be beautiful, but I did visit in October before the
winter onslaught. The people were all very friendly and there is lots of
space.

At 03:14 AM 3/12/97 UT, you wrote:
>Hopefully our snow will be melted soon here in North Dakota and I will start
>my 75B for another summer of daily driving.
>
>Last summer when it would set for more than a couple of days the exhaust
would
>smell like anti freeze.  The smell would go away after it ran for a few
>minutes.  When I drove it every day there would not be any smell and it runs
>fine.  The anti freeze level in the radiator does not change and I never
have
>to add any.
>
>Do I have a leaky head gasket here?  Any other suggestions.  Should I pull
the
>head this spring and replace head gasket?  Is it maybe a more serious
problem?
> Thanks for any help.
>
>Ron Marthaller
>Fargo ND