Re: HIF hi-idle & other musings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HIF hi-idle & other musings
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:27:07 -0600
Well I''m back after a long absence and happy to be here.

Over the last few days there have been a few subjects that have whet my
appetite.

**HIF4 High Idle:

My Old Maroon (still in the backyard) had a set of HIF's that always had a
high idle, too, no matter what I did. There was also a sputter at about
3500 rpm that I never could get away from. It performed beautifully other
those two vexing quirks.

Last fall when I found out that the throttle shafts on the primrose were
shot, I put the HIF's on while getting the HS4's redone. The swap worked
quite well except that the idle is again up about 12 - 1500 rpm. I've
replaced the plates and no change. I'm beginning to think it's just
inherent. As soon as I get the HS4's back I won't have to worry about it
anymore and that's all I got to say abou that.

**Spousal approval:

Some years ago we were a one car family. We needed another car for one of
us to get to work in. We had about $3k to spend. I told Jette that for
three grand we weren't going to get a car without problems and so to
compensate, we should get a car that would be worth having problems. How
big a drag would it be to get a used car and spend all our time fixing it
just so we could get to work. We should be able to get somthing else out of
it to boot. So we wound up getting the maroon (74 B) and I wound up putting
another $1500 in parts into it and we had a car that really was as
dependable as the Civic. And she loved going for rides and being able to
watch the hawks fly overhead, etc. Then I crashed it. It handled so well in
the crash that Jette said it made sense to her to replace it with another
B. Cheap, safe transportation. Believe it or not that's how I sold her on
the whole thing. Of course I don't have a garage full of cars in differing
states of completion, either.

Glenn "If any of you tell her, you're dead" Schnittke
No one in Tuna knows what I do for a livivng.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
schnittke@mindspring.com