Re: Jargon? was: What does USR X2 stand for ?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Jargon? was: What does USR X2 stand for ?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 05:37:41 -0800
At 12:52 AM 3/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>John McEwen wrote:
>>
>>> Kai, you are young and keen.  The computer is your hobby.  Find a way to
>>> make the computer as unobtrusive as the toaster, while allowing computer
>>> nerds to play all day if they wish.  Just don't let them drive on my
>>> highway or use jargon when I want to find out why a message I sent didn't
>>> get there.

>In the horse and buggy days, knowledge of machinery was far more widespread
>than today.  It was expected that the purchaser of an automobile would
>service it.  Have a look at an automobile owner's manual from that period.
>Remember that the automobile was a new invention and still largely a
>plaything of the rich who could afford to hire a chauffeur who knew
>machinery, or was owned by a man who understood the repair needs of the
>day.  In fact, take a look at the owners manuals of our precious LBCs.  A
>great deal of knowledge was expected and required.  That situation has
>changed forever during the past 40 years.

SNIP

>Have we progressed?  We can do more things and do them faster but the idea
>has not changed.  Somewhere along the way the technocrats took over and
>deemed that we should all clearly understand and be required to execute
>every detailed process in the operation.  We were expected - as PC users -
>to memorize hundreds of keyboard commands and keep a dictionary of these
>commands handy when we couldn't remember.  Why?
>

>Someday we may reach a point where we can
>>simply talk to a computer in plain English and it will understand. But
>>that's a long way off and even then you'll need to know how to talk to
>>it. Think of how much trouble we have sometimes telling other people
>>what we want.

Next time he posts pay special attention to Chip Old's Tag line (sorry,
jargon there....) It sums up the whole thing I think.

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT