Re: Brakes and More Brakes...

To: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes and More Brakes...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 09:11:07 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Vince J. Pujalte wrote:

> Scott,
>   Did you get the brake deal sorted out?
>
> Enquiring minds want to know,
> -Vince

  Vince and others,

  Yes!  The brakes on my B are finally sorted out.  (the front
  brakes would overheat after about 10 mins of driving)

  I am sort of embarassed to reveal the problem.

  The general list.consensus was that either the front brake
  hoses were collapsed internally or the silicone brake fluid was
  swelling the M/C seals.  John Twist (and a lister whose
  name escapes me) suggested either caliper seals installed
  wrong, or ::drum roll please::  a misadjusted brake light
  switch.  The switch was the culprit:

  The offending critter screws into the pedal box and activates
  the brake lights.  When I installed the new switch, I screwed
  it in a few threads too far.  This was slightly engaging the pedal
  which was preventing the M/C piston to fully retract and release
  the pressure.

  Backing it out a few threads solved the problem!

  On a seperate note, I took the B to a friends alignment shop
  yesterday to check the toe.  I used the framing-square-on-a-stick
  method, and bet him a few pints that I was reasonably close (within
  a 1/16 of an inch).   Wrong!  The toe was still way off despite
  my best efforts :-/

  He has a Hunter alignment machine, that is slicker than pig phlem.
  You key the year/make/model into the control unit and mount a
  wireless module to the rim of each wheel.  Sensors inside these
  measure the distance between themselves and transmit the data
  via RF back to the control unit.  Big hairy deal, this has been
  around for years- here's the neat part: The operator sees (via a GUI)
  which settings are out of whack and uses a light pen to select
  the one to adjust.  A scanned image of the Bentley MGB factory
  manual then appeared showing the B's suspension adjustment points
  -or point in my case, and a multimedia video clip shows him/her
  how to make the adjustment. (Moral: applied computing is A Good Thing)

  The mechanic even put a piece of rubber hose over the tie-rod
  so he wouldnt scratch the paint when he grabbed it with a vise-
  grip.  Nice touch.  Oh yeah, the front ride height is 3" higher
  than the rear- do you think it's time for new rear springs?? :-)

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA