Distibuter Problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distibuter Problems
From: IMFletch@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:50:46 -0500 (EST)
A plea for help.

My '69 B wouldn't start. Engine cranked fine, just spun and spun, no firing
though. Checked coil, plug wires, new sparks, good rotor and cap. Bad points.
Pulled the distributor off, cleaned it out, adjusted the points and
reinstalled. Nothing.

Two good friends from the local car club came over and we all went to work.
They double checked everything. Still nothing. A quick run through the
carbs/fuel pump/etc and we finally got her to fire. Ran very rough,
backfiring and sputtering.

Shut the engine down and rechecking the distributor, the nylon thingy next to
the points has melted. No continuity through the points. Replaced points.
Fired off the engine again, ran for a 10-15 seconds normally, then started
sputtering again. Pull off the distributor cap and sure enough, the points
have melted that nylon thingy. Somewhere along the troubleshooting here, we
did replace the condensor too.

So, why does that nylon thing keep melting and screwing me up. 25D4
distributor. Anyone with experience here or even a good guess would be
welcome.

Thanks all.

Scott Smithers
'69 MGB Roadster