MGF comes to Oz

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGF comes to Oz
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 16:43:51 +1000 (EST)
On the eve of the MGF being introduced into Australia the motoring press put
9 of the cars through their paces over a 4 day period last month. One of
these days included track time at a circuit about 3 hours south west of
Sydney.

The car's designer came out from the UK where, along with Rover execs, he
attended the test session.

To keep the motoring press honest, the company had arranged for an aspiring
Formula 1 driver to pretest one of the cars on the hill climb and road
track sections before they arrived.

To develop a marketing angle several early model MG's were invited this day
to participate as part of a 'retrospective'. I had an opportunity to drive
one of these retrospective cars - an open wheeler TC special. That car
could really smoke along. Actually Jerry - the F's designer was heard to
say after he had also driven the car on the hillclimb section - "wow, that
was  better than sex. I'd swap an F for this any day."