Re: Is it cool?

To: mpowell@cstone.net (Mike Powell)
Subject: Re: Is it cool?
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:45:36 -0500
If the thermostat is open all the time, the cooling system is not coping.
This would imply that the system needs to be upgraded.  Possibly a thicker
radiator will assist.  Compare the thickness on a car which has air
conditioning with the same car which doesn't.  Air conditioning rads are
usually one row thicker.  You could do the same by recoring with the high
efficiency core and by specifying a thicker one.

I would add a sealed cooling system tank - such as used on modern vehicles
which would allow the catchment and return of lost fluid.  I have done this
on my B in addition to the upgraded rad.  Moving more air through the rad
with electric fans is of dubious value as the fans themselves tend to
restrict the airflow.  I tried this approach on another vehicle with
negative results.

One successful mod which I have seen is on a Sunbeam Tiger owned by a
friend of mine.  He uses an asymmetrical Volvo fan.  The fan creates a
superior air flow compared to the stock 4 blade fan.  The Volvo fan has 5
blades arranged asymmetically.  They are made of nylon and readily
available in wrecking yards.  I am not sure what would be involved in
fitting one to an MG but it shouldn't be impossible.  Again, removal of the
thermostat can result in premature failure of the engine and certainly
inefficient operation,  due to allowing the engine to run below its normal
operating temperature during most of its running time - except when it's
very hot outside.

John McEwen