Re: Door fit.

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: Door fit.
From: John Saxon <jsaxon@acay.com.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 14:45:20 +1000
At 08:55 AM 18/03/97 -0500, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>I have a problem that I am sure someone has a solution for.  My drivers
>side door is suffering from an alignment problem.  When looking at the
>door, all door gaps are even, front to rear, and top to bottom.  When
>sighting down the length of the car (from the rear), the lower contour
>of the door does not match the body contour.  The lower portion of the
>rear edge of the door protrudes from the body about a 1/4".  Someone
>suggested that this was due to misalignment of the dog leg section
>behind the door that was replaced when the sill was done.  Both body and
>door shapes seem correct. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?  A
>really poor effort to illustrate the problem is below.  BTW, any
>solution must be accomplished without damaging my paint!

>                       Door    ||      Body
>                       Side    |\      Side
>                               | \
>                               |  \
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris Delling

Chris, if your car is an 'A', then this is not unusual.

The door fits neatly at the front and at the top at the rear but may be a
1/4" out at the rear bottom. I know that for some time in our local MGCC
concourses, this was accepted as being the way some cars came from the factory.

We tend to forget that these cars were just like any other car knife and
forked together in the 50/60s. They were nothing special, despite all the
stories we hear about the dedication of the Abingdon workers. They were
under pressure like in every other UK car factory and if the door was
slightly warped, it would still be fitted.

I don't believe there is any way you can fix this without some serious and
expensive work on the alloy and steel door.

John Saxon 1958 MGA 1500.