Re: The low down on some cars

To: john.kahoon@pcohio.com
Subject: Re: The low down on some cars
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:07:14 EST
On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 05:20:00 -0500 john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
writes:

> OK, here's one for you guy's to indentify. The folks next door had
>some
>fellow stop buy with a car for them to test drive. ( probably saw me
>having too much fun in the 65 midget, and liked the idea ) It looked
>like an 80's car, but with a lot of MG-T type style to it.
> After the owner sent the couple from next door off for there test
>drive, He noticed me farting around with the midget and wanderd over.
>He introduced himself and said he used to race midgets a long time
>ago,
>but was into Alfa's now. That's when I broke down and asked him what
>the hell that car he had was. He said a Panther. He said to take a
>look
>at it when the couple came back and note the windscreen.
> Strange, it had MY midget winscreen on it !
>Does any body know about these cars ?
>
>John
>65 midget (for sale)
>71 midget
As I recall, Panther made Replicars in the 70s and 80s. - one was based
on the SS100 and a smaller one was a hybrid of numerous styles - sort of
a cross between a street rod, a T model and a Bugatti (sorry cant be
clearer - can see it in my mind tho!)
A distinctive feature of this smaller one was that the finish was two
tone and the sides had a distinctive "basketwork" pattern - much like the
very early (57-59) Minis.
Dont know much more than that, and i have only seen them in books (and
that not for years!!) but i do remember drooling somewhat at the pics!!

BTW - have corresponded with the PUMA seller a bit - He posted it as an
MG because he couldnt think how else to categorize it! - Nice chap,
obviously an enthusiast, he's going to send me a pic - then I'' try to
give a better description than the one i gave above!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster