[transerv@sprynet.com: MGB Purchase..]

To: mgs
Subject: [transerv@sprynet.com: MGB Purchase..]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:49:31 -0700 (MST)

This was sent to the wrong address, rather than mgs@autox.team.net

mjb.
----

     From: transerv@sprynet.com
     Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:43:28 -0800
     Subject: MGB Purchase..

Hello group,

I'm a lurker on the MG and Tri***h lists, and have grown frustrated trying to
finish a TR$ (yes, I meant $) restoration project, so I have been shopping
around for a second LBC to use as a semi-daily driver untill I finish the
money-pit TR$.

I found a 1980 MGB LE listed in our paper for $2100 or best offer.  It
definitely has some problems, dented right fron wing, rust bubbles on
left rear wing, noisy valve train, slight puffs of white smoke on
accelleration, and the most disconcerting of all, ...when taking off
from a standing start, the clutch has to be pumped a couple of time
before it engages.  I'm used to LBCs sometimes needing a pump or two
to release the clutch, but never to engage it.  This has to be
repeated often while going through the gears.

Any ideas?  How expensive, extensive to fix?

Also, the OD wiring was cut, so it did not function, could this have any
connection to the recalcitrant clutch?

On the plus side, it comes with a free pair of vise grips to pull the bonnet
release cable.

Any advice would be appreciated...it's this choice MG so far, or a Spi****e
with a bondo nose and no door handles.

Robert Houston