Re: car waxes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, damitdick@juno.com
Subject: Re: car waxes
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 13:37:51 +0000
W. J. Richard Criswell wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:09:17 EST glen.christian@juno.com (glen christian)
> writes:
> >ok, here is an old one. it's about waxes. the paint job on my car is
> >not in the best of shape. well, actually, it is quite oxidized. the
> >other day, i tried using a fine rubbing compound on it (blue coral) to
> >lift off the oxidation. that seemed to smooth it out pretty nice. then
> >i tried some of this dupli-color wax. you know, that stuff that is
> >pigmented to match the color of your car. it look good after i buffed
> >that off. but today i went out there and took a closer look at it, and
> >there are faint swirl marks in the finish. does anyone know what i
> >need to do to avoid that in the future? is it my method, the rubbing
> >compound or wax, or is my paint just beyond all hope. probably all
> >three.
> >
> >also, can anyone reccomend a good wax for clearcoat finishes. thanx.
> >
> >Glen Christian
> >Mechanical Engineer Graduate in search of Work
> >glen.christian@juno.com
>
> Glen...
>
> If you can find some try Auto Glym...You won't be dissapointed!
>
> Dick 8>)
> Vintage Parts & Products
> Camarillo, CA
> Have MG will travel

I've used AutoGlym and found the cutting polish OK but wasn't that
impressed with the polish, it's very hard work to polish out.  Then
tried Mer which is only sold at shows here, complete with demos of Mini
bonnets doused in lighter fluid and ignited.  I found it even harder to
polish out than AutoGlym, it left streaks, and every time I looked at
the car I found white powder in corners and crevices.  Maybe if I'd used
lighter fluid as well it would've been OK.  Went back to Turtle wax -
much easier to use, no streaks and no residue.  I think the paint used
has a bearing on polish performance.

PaulH.