Re: Vacuum Advance

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, ken hedges <khedges@wkpower.com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum Advance
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:01:00 +0000
ken hedges wrote:

> I just read in the April/May issue of British car, an article regarding the
> working of a distributor.
>
> The article make mention that the vacuum advance can be made to operate by
> sucking on the pipe coming from the carb, at which time the plate on which
> the points are mounted will move thus advancing the points.  (The car is
> not running at this point, and the distributor cap removed).
>
> I tried this on my unit last night, and no movement was observed.  I do
> remember last year when rebuilding, the the lever that went to the
> distributor was very stiff.
>
> Question    Has anyone had any first hand experience with this, before I
> take the distributor out and fit a new vacuum unit?
>
> Ken
>
> 75B

What you describe is the standard test for checking the vacuum diaphragm and
advance.
You should not be able to suck any air from the diaphragm - if you can it is
leaking
and will be affecting mixture at least or vacuum advance at worst.  You should
also be
able to see the base plate move as you suck on it, if it doesn't ...

PaulH.