Re: clutch replacement

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: Re: clutch replacement
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:25:19 -0800
RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-03-21 17:22:34 EST, Rlbbs@aol.com writes:
>
> << Tony, I would recommend that you replace the throwout bearing when you
>  replace the clutch and pressure plate.  The bearing is only a piece of
> carbon
>  and does wear as quickly as the clutch. >>
>
> Bob, Tony,
>
> A REAL throwout ball bearing is also available in various catalogs. I
> recommend them over the stock carbon ones.
>
> R. Johnson - Dallas
>
> '90 Maine Coon
> '79 Midget
> '76 Midget
> '73 MGB

I would highly suggest reconsidering use of a ball bearing throwout
bearing in an MGB.  The stock throwout bearing is designed to wear out in
sync with the driven clutch plate.  They get replaced at the same time.
For some very good technical info, this subject, see British Automotive's
Home Page at www.mgbmga.com

Bill Schooler