Re: Cold Red Light et al

To: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light et al
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 06:32:32 -0600
Corey wrote:

> On the alternator side of the coil, there's a connexion for a little
> blue plastic thingamajig that is grounded to the inside of the wing
> and wired separately to the coil. Small (1.5") blue canister-like
> thing, no obvious inscription on it. What is this?

Corey -
        That's probably a noise suppressor that a DPO has put on.  It's really
just a capacitor (condensor) that shunts noise spikes on the DC line to
ground.  Reduces alternator/wiper motor/heater motor noise that may get
into your audio system.  If you don't care about the audio, you can
safely remove it.

> Oh, and another question ...
>
> Should the fusebox have some sort of cover on it?

Yes, you need to keep water off of the fuses - not waterproof, can have
internal corrosion.  And, if hot from driving, and water gets splashed
on, could crack the glass fuses.

> Is there supposed to be an open spade on the front (forward) fuse,
> second from the top? (okay, that's two questions. Sueme.)

Yes, I have this on my '79

> Where is the ground strap supposed to be again? I can't seem to find
> anything like what is being described.

Earlier models had the ground strap across one of the engine mounts.
Later it was moved to go across the rubber transmission mount.  In 1980
it moved to the top of the rear engine plate connecting to the firewall.

> And ... what is an induction heater? Do I have one?  What does it
> do?  (Please don't tell me it's a fancy word for the car's heater.)

On the single ZS carbs, it is a coil heater that warms the intake
air/fuel mixture.  Located between the carb and manifold, it's a black
Bakelite spacer about 1 inch thick, with a single wire connection.

--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube      wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB        http://web2.airmail.net/wkube