Re: Cold Red Light et al

To: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light et al
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:06:03 -0800
At 12:59 AM 3/25/97 -0500, you wrote:

>On the alternator side of the coil, there's a connexion for a little
>blue plastic thingamajig that is grounded to the inside of the wing
>and wired separately to the coil. Small (1.5") blue canister-like
>thing, no obvious inscription on it. What is this?

Been a long time since I spent any time under a 70's vintage car but I THINK
it's a noise suppressor.  Designed to use capacitance to suppress ignition
noise in your radio.

>Oh, and another question ...
>
>And ... what is an induction heater? Do I have one?  What does it
>do?  (Please don't tell me it's a fancy word for the car's heater.)

Heater that uses hysteresis of an alternating current in a laminated iron
core. Probably not. Big ones melt iron in smelters, little ones expand
bearing races for fitting to shafts.

Cheers, eh!

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT