NY International Auto Show

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: NY International Auto Show
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 14:34:04 +0000
Folks,
Well, I said I'd report back regarding this breakfast meeting
yesterday at the Javits Center in NYC for the kick-off of the Show
running all next week.
First, the speaker, Dr. Heinrich Heitmann Chairman of BMW Holding
Corp. (USA), who controls operations for North, Central and South
America stated when asked a direct queation as to whether an MG was
planned for the North American market..."no decision has been made at
this time".
That, in my mind doesn't rule it out.
Second, in the just received MGB Driver, there is a optimistic mention
of a Rover, Chrysler and BMW deal reported in the London Times.
Dr. Heitmann referred to this venture as ..."only regarding the
production of 1.6 and 1.9 engines in South America", not a new car.
This guy is all business and says it like it is. He has his own ideas
on what a car company should be doing and doesn't like convention.
How he impacts BMW will also reflect on our LBC. He's been in this new
position since Feb. and calls himself "the new guy".
News about the show?
Volvo has a great looking new car the C-70. Looks like a Lexus 300 SC
coupe. about $40,000. New Grand Cherokee 5.9 liter. about same price
with options. I like the Porsche Boxster over the Mercedes SLK(neat
hardtop/convertible, though) and the BMW Z3 in 6 cylinder form.

Cheers,
Your humble International Motor Press Association member,
Dave Houser