Re: The Shell Game

To: RWilli6970@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The Shell Game
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 07:10:05
At 04:05 PM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>To all
>
>I see Moss and Vicky are selling new shells for $4995 plus $499 crating and
>$300 to $600 shipping. That's a lot of dinnero! We have restored a 72 MGB and
>are currently restoring a 67. We removed every bit of rust, every small ding,
>took off all the paint to bare metal, welded, then primed and seam sealed.
>The suspension removed and the entire naked shell was primed and is now ready
>for paint. Is there any interest out there to have your shell overhauled and
>primed? You would have to remove everything but the suspension and wheels. In
>about 30 days you could have essentially a new shell. Picked up and delivered
>within 200 miles of New Jersey. MG's only!
>
>Rick Williams
>72 MGB
>67 MGB
>908-928-2140

Rick,

I would agree that keeping the original shell would be the best bet, but I
understand that the new shells were/are marketed so that cars that are
beyond body work can be saved.  Of course is it really an original if it
has a new shell?  Anyway how does your price compare with a new shell?
Your posting implies that you can do it for less than the cost of a new
shell, am I reading between the lines correctly?>

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca