Re: TRF, state of LBCs

To: b-schleusner@ti.com
Subject: Re: TRF, state of LBCs
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:38:36 EST
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:49:32 -0600 Bill Schleusner <b-schleusner@ti.com>
writes:
>Me again,  I forgot to add this to my Maaco dissertation.
>
>I got my TRF newspaper last night and was reading Charles Runyon's
>diatribe on
>the state of the LBC hobby.  Was it just me or was he alluding to the
>fact that
>if we don't buy from TRF exclusively the LBCs of the world will soon
>disappear.
>
>Maybe I'm just being a little overly dramatic but the gist of the
>article was
>not very optimistic.  This coming from someone who depends on LBCs for
>his
>livelihood.  Does anyone or everyone believe that LBCs will be gone
>forever in
>twenty years?
>
>If that's the case maybe I should look into buying a M**t*.  Just
>another
>random thought. Glad I didn't buy my GT yet.
>
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>>From Bill Schleusner
>Texas Instruments Incorporated
>b-schleusner@ti.com
>972-917-6920
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I havn't seen the article in question but personally i doubt that we will
ALL be gone in 20 years. Doubtless, with the passing of time there will
be less and less cars available for restoration and less people
around/interested in the marque since  a lot of our fun derives from a
nostalgia for our own misspent youth when the cars were new.
I would guess that the average pre-war enthusiast is in his 60s or 70s,
"T" folk probably 50s and 60s, "A" contingient - 50s, "B" blokes" -
babyboomers  but of course theres a lot of line-crossing and the
occasional "youngblood" such as Kai so whilst our numbers and those of
the cars may diminish through attrition something will live on for the
foreseeable future whilst our sons and daughters move on to the
restoration and enjoyment of whatever piques their interest from todays
marketplace
(though i confess i find a "Dodge Aries Register" or similar rather
unlikely.)
All of us need to enjoy and share our hobby NOW - sure, pass the interest
to the next generation if they want it but if they dont , life will go on
- The marque is ours to enjoy, restore and maintain - we dont need to
worry about what happens next - we really dont!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster