Soft Hardened Washers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Soft Hardened Washers
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 20:53:20 EST
I needed hardened washers for the cylinder head studs/nuts.  Moss MGA
catalog lists
"324-435 Washer, cylinder head"  under External Engine parts.  Also lists

"324-725 Washer, cylinder head stud, hardened"  under Cylinder Head
parts.  So I figure order the one that says "hardened" and ordered
324-725.

They seem to be a little too thin and a too large in diameter, and having
too large a hole inside as well.  Even worse, not very hard.  Trying to
torque it up to 50 lb-ft, by the time I got to 40 lb-ft one of these
washers formed itself into a deep cup shape and squashed out from under
the nut like modeling clay.  Had this happen several years ago, had to
buy hardened washers at the local hardware store.  I thought maybe Moss
would have this one corrected by now, but .......... ???

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA