Electrical field effects

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrical field effects
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 18:36:52 -0500
Hello list - especially those of you skilled in electrical
engineering/technology:

I have been presented with a problem by my wife.  We are in the process of
purchasing a new travel trailer which will allow us to take spring and fall
holidays.  While the trailer will be too big to pull behind an LBC, it will
be possible for me to take a FBB (Fast British Bike) inside my van when we
are towing.

The problem is that the electrical converter in the trailer is located
under the bed on my wife's side.  She knows that it is not healthy to sleep
in close proximity to electrical fields.  She wants me to "do the right
thing" and prevent any possible problem by eliminating the danger.  The
converter converts 115 VAC to 12 volts (I am not sure whether this is AC or
DC).  It is a combination transformer and circuit breaker and draws up to
55 amps.  It is not cased but breadboard mounted and is surrounded by a
wooden box but open on top - under, and in close proximity to, the plywood
supporting the bed.

My questions are as follows:

1.  Do I have a problem or is the field involved negligible?  Note that all
of the electrical wiring in the trailer accesses this unit.

2.  Would a metal barrier of some sort, attached to the underside of the
bed support plywood, act as a suitable protector?

3.  Would this barrier have to be grounded to the chassis of the trailer in
some way?

4.  Is there a better suggestion?

Thanks for your help.  This is a serious concern for my wife and me.

John McEwen