Re: Motor Mounts and Exhaust - Long

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts and Exhaust - Long
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:49:13 -0500
Christopher M. Delling wrote:

> Need some help here folks!.  I am in the process of stripping all the
> ancillaries off my 77 B's engine in preparation to pull the motor this
> weekend to install my O.D. tranny.  My car has a Weber, and I am
> replacing the crappy header with a old style cast iron manifold.  I test
> fitted the manifold to the car, and found that the clearance between the
> manifold and the steering column is very tight - about 1/16".  I am
> concerned that the twist of the engine on it's mounts under load may
> result in an interference.
<SNIP>

Chris:

I replaced the motor mounts on Rags last winter.  Putting them back on
required a little trick with a splotch of rubber cement to get the
pieces to line up right.  At the time, I had my rack off, so I can't
advise either way on that one.

I have a 75 B; the distributor side had one shim, the manifold side had
two. I left them that way when I did reassembly.  I've got headers on
her, and the clearance between the headers and the steering column is
about 1/8". No problems there, though occasionally (because of the tight
tolerance on the header's bend) the header bangs into the firewall
when I've got a lot of torque on the motor.  Hasn't broken yet. ;)
Eventually I'm going to replace this header with a better one, or go
back to the older style manifold as you're doing.

Luck.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'