Re: Fuel Leak on MGTD

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Leak on MGTD
From: skillman@clark.net (Robert Skillman)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 20:34:49 -0500
Bub wrote:

>        Good news and bad news. Bad news is that it failed the full-tank test.
>Good news is that I think I know why. The liquid nature of sealants act
>as a lubricant to the surface of the neoprene gasket. As the mounting
>screws are tightened, the gasket tends to 'ooze' and deform. I know that
>this happened.
>    A possible solution to this problem, suggested by Steve Hardy of
>Boston MG Shop, is to use a fuel pump body gasket instead. They're
>almost identical in diameter and bolt circle for the six holes, and ---
>they're made of a fibrous material. I'll order some from Abingdon Spares
>tomorrow. Should have them installed by Tuesday evening. Then let's see
>what happens.

Forget neoprene gaskets on the T fuel sender!  They extrude under pressure
so one turn of a screw can go from leaking (not tight enough) to leaking
(too tight) with little area in the middle.  I don't know why they even
supply them- a very stiff, hard neoprene would probably be OK but that's
not what you get.  Try the original Cork gaskets which I got from Moss or
Abington.  I cut sheet cork into the gasket for the cover plate.  I used
Permatex Aviation on all seals but your Yamabond may be better.  Good Luck

Bob Skillman 47TC