Re: Trunk junk

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trunk junk
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:37:10 -0500

>> If you go to your local super hardware store or contractor supplier you will
>> probably be able to find a product called Duct-Seal.  It's a grey putty,
>> much like plasticine with excellent adhesive and water resistant properties.
>> It comes in a brick about 10" x 4" x1", should be enough to do a car and a
>> half. You tear off a chunk, knead it till it becomes soft then form it
>> around what ever you want to seal up. It holds it's position but won't
>> harden to a brittle mass.
>>
>> If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can't find more info.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>    ___        \______                 Ross MacPherson
>>   / __ \ __ /       /------|)         arm@unix.infoserve.net
>> /  (___)---------/ (___)      Vancouver, BC, Canada
>>  1947 MG-TC 3528              1966 MGB-GT
>>

>In many cars, the sealer I've seen is painted.  I am not sure if putty
>compounds like duct seal will hold paint.  3M or Dupont probably make
>something that does.  You can get their products at any body shop supply
>house.  Might cost more, but not that much more to make it worthwhile
>using something that won't take paint or might end up sticking to whatever
>you put in your trunk.
>
>Glenn

Hi List:

The stuff you want is called Drip Check.  It is OEM on most American cars
and is used for the purposes described.  It is also used to seal body seams
on the painted side of the car as well as it is paintable and dries hard
but not rigid.  Any body shop supply will have it in stock.  It comes in a
flexible tube like a large toothpaste tube.

John McEwen