RE: MGA -SWAP TO MGB ENGINE OR ENGINGE & TRANS

To: "Unger, Larry G @ MAN" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Subject: RE: MGA -SWAP TO MGB ENGINE OR ENGINGE & TRANS
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 02:22:54 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Unger, Larry G @ MAN wrote:

Teriffic response!!  Good solid info presented.

> If the 'swap' is done properly (retaining the 'A' tranny) then

This response explains why we had so many problems that we gave
up on our swap.  We figured that rather than re-invent the wheel,
we'd wait 'till someone told us what the answers were.

> welding, cutting or other modification of the 'A' frame and/or
> body is *not* required ... in fact, if the external bits from the

We were going the opposite way: the original "A" 3 syncro transmission
grenaded, and we had a 1500 zero time rebuild waiting to go back in.

The cost of rebuilding the 3 syncro was prohibitive, and we just
happened to have a good 4 syncro od transmission in a parts car.

> a 'B' 3-synchro tranny ('62-'67).  The radiator must be shimmed
> forward (approixmately 5/8") to accomodate the larger 5-main

Ok, we'll do that before we install the 1800.

> water pump.  The 5-main block is not machined to accept the
> 'A' mechanical tach drive so the 'B' electronic tach (with an
> 'A' face) is fitted ... *rumor* has it that the block can be
> machined to accept the mechanical tach drive.  Changes did

We were resigned to fitting the electrical tach...

> The stock 'A' cast iron exhaust manifold can be fitted, but it
> is IMHO quite restrictive and should be replaced with an
> aftermarket 'A' tubular header.

Hmm; David Vizard notes in his book on the BMC "A" series engine
(small block ala minis, sprites, midgets) that the cast iron
manifold was actually pretty good.  Does anyone know if the "B"
series (big block) received as good a design??

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen