Re: MGA -SWAP TO MGB ENGINE OR ENGINGE & TRANS

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: MGA -SWAP TO MGB ENGINE OR ENGINGE & TRANS
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 19:31:31 EST
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:51:45 -0500 larry.g.unger@lmco.com writes:

>>>There is a big difference between the MGA and MGB cast iron manifolds.
The MGB manifold is quite good ... it is essentially an LCB design ...
alias, it cannot be fitted to an MGA without modification.

>>I believe there is a suitable cure (minor mod) for that problem if you
have access to a milling machine.  Set up the MGB manifold straight and
square with the mating face upwards.  Then raise the face or lower the
outlet end about 3/8 inch, clamp it down tight, and take a finishing cut
off the mating face.  Should then bolt up nicely in the MGA with plenty
of clearance from the steering shaft.

>Barney ... not sure that I'm following ya on this one ... machine the
manifold face at an angle? (so as to tilt the outlet end of the manifold
towards the block) ... or machine 3/8" off the entire manifold face?
What about the mounting flanges?

Cut the manifold face at an angle, moves the outlet end farther away from
the block.  The angle comes out to about 1-1/2 degrees.  The cut will be
only about 1/16 deep at the thick side of the wedge.  The holes have
plenty of clearance so the studs will never notice the angle.  If you're
real picky you can machine the seating surfaces for the washers to be
parallel to the face when finished.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA