Re: Carb Problems

To: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: Re: Carb Problems
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 03:29:02 -0800 (PST)
Hi Randy Rees!!

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Randy Rees wrote:

> Now for the problem. It runs real rough and if I spray carb cleaner in
> the rear carb it runs real smooth and speed up. if I spray the front

The rear two cylinders are running lean.  I would suspect that the only
gas they get is from the manifold balance tube between the carbs.

> carb it has no effect. Already checked for vacuum leaks and cleaned out

The front carb has lots of gas for the front two cylinders.  It's ok.

> the float bowls. If I press on the gas pedal the engine nearly stalls

Drop the rear float bowl again, and see if it has any/enough gas in it.
If it's dry, then hit the ignition switch to see if the pump is able to
pump gas through the needle assembly.  To do this, let the float drop
so the needle isn't held closed on its' seat.  You might have varnish
jamming the needle shut.

The last place to check is the carb jet.  It should have gas in it.
If you remove the piston assembly, you can see into the jet.  Compare
the level in the front carb (working) to the rear carb (kaput).

> restoration, only body work was started. Could the timing be off? Carbs
> out of adjustment? It should not need these things but hey 13 years is a
> long time.

Note that the factory manual says that the LAST thing to adjust in a
tune-up are the carbs!!  Compression check, valve adjustment, point gap
setting, timing on the mark, plugs new or re-gapped, run 'til warmed up,
and THEN look at the carb settings.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen