Re: Whistles on Cars?

To: ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Whistles on Cars?
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:16:50 PST
On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:20:21 -0800 (PST) EMILY COWEN
<ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca> writes:
>On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Eddie Sheffield wrote:
>
>> I know a popular item where there are a lot of deer are these little
>> black plastic things that you mount on your front bumper

snip---------------------------

Greetings:

Here in the interior highlands of southern Missouri we have a large
population of whitetail deer. I don't run the whistles, but a number of
my neighbors do. Since 1985, one feller has killed five deer while
running whistles and another neighbor has nailed two with his pickup
truck. I once hit one while running flat out in a VW transporter (no
whistles) and it is not a pleasant ride.

At any rate, I have heard of other whistle-equipped vehicles tangling
with local deer and it seems to me that the whistle business really
isn't too effective.

Whistling in the dark,

David F. Darby