Re: Driving to Texas, need help with differential, kingpins, ...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Driving to Texas, need help with differential, kingpins, ...
From: Joe Peck <mgnut@peck.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 13:15:15 -0500
Thanks for all the fast responses.  I'm surprised how many Texans are on
the list!  I thought you all drove pickups :-)

I've already made my game plan and started on it.

1. Picked up the car, paid for the work already done.
2. Bought parts so I can do the king-pins and bushings myself this
weekend.  Also bought an oil cooler, hope to install that before I
leave.
3. Taking the car back in Monday so they can put in a replacement rear
assembly.  ($350 parts, $220 labor)  Their qoute was for the assembly,
not just the differential.  I decided that I really don't want to mess
with this given my time constraints.
4. Putting some minor parts on this afternoon so the car passes Maryland
inspection, so that I can get current *Maryland* tags so that I can
drive it to Texas legally so that I can then get *Texas* tags.  (I hate
this crap).

I also rescheduled my Thursday meeting for Wednesday, so I've got 4 1/2
days to do the drive.  And yes, I realize the Blue Ridge Parkway will
take *much* longer than the interstate, but hey, I'm not passing up the
chance to drive it.  The weather out here has been beautiful for the
past tfinally gotten nice.  (My sister still has a foot of snow on the
ground at her place back in Michigan).

Gotta run, lots to do :-)

Joe