Re: B Questions

To: "The J Clan " <megbug@msn.com>
Subject: Re: B Questions
From: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 17:55:51 GMT
On Wed, 2 Apr 97 21:07:38 UT, you wrote:

>I need to paint my car and would like to do as much of the prep work =
myself as=20
>possible.  What is a good book for one of little knowledge? And how much=
 could=20
>I do myself?  I already have everything off of it-except the door locks,=
 which=20
>seem to have me stumped.
=20
        One of my favorite books is "How To Restore British Sports
Cars" by Jay Lamm.  The bodywork/paint chapters are short but to the
point and are written for the person doing there restoration at home
rather than a fully equipped shop.  The book also covers general
mechanical and trim work.  A good value for $25.00 and is available
form Classic Motorbooks as well as parts suppliers like Victoria
British.
        The door locks are held in with a horrible little spring clip
that raps around the lock barrel and has two sharp prongs that bind up
against the inner door skin.  This clip is split at the bottom and can
be pried apart with a small (jewelers) screwdriver and then popped off
the barrel.  The lock can then be pulled out from the outside.  These
clips are a poor design and barely keep the lock form turning.  There
are aftermarket kits available that replace the clips with a plate and
a couple of bolts that are lot more secure. =20
>When I depress my clutch it feels like metal to metal grinding, it seems=
 to do=20
>it more the more I use the clutch and the warmer the car gets-does this =
mean I=20
>need a new clutch or is it in the hydraulics?  If I need a new clutch =
which is=20
>the best to buy?
        The OEM supplier was Borg & Beck and are considered better
than reconditioned parts.