Clutch Problems, lever Won't return

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch Problems, lever Won't return
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 14:45:47 -0500
Hello Everyone:

I've got clutch problems now.  :(

I ordered a slave rebuild kit because I could see it leaking and the
outside rubber grommet had popped off as well.

After taking off and rebuilding and replacing, I discovered that the
retaining ring was gone on the slave cylinder unit.  That was because the
slave piston broken it out and thats what allowed the piston to go far
enough out the slave cylinder (Breaking the retaining ring) and popping off
the outside rubber grommet.

Anyway, after replacing and trying to bleed out the air of the clutch it
was noticed that the lever that the slave pushes against wan't returning
back to the rest position, or what I think is an engaged position.   IOW,
still like it was pushed in.

This has lead me to believe that the spring that works with the throw out
bearing and the pressure plate is broken with inside the clutch area.  And
thats why the lever doesn't seem to return and thats why the piston in the
slave travels to far to brea kthe retaining ring and so on.  Thats my story
and I'm sticking by it

Anyone out there have any advise on what to do, look at and what to try to
repair this problem?

Thanks in advance,

--
Jay Quinn       Systems Engineer