Re: MGC & Crank Pulley: Greater Specifidity

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: MGC & Crank Pulley: Greater Specifidity
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bob Allen!!

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Robert Allen wrote:

> [ Bob Allen slinks back up to podium after most have left the
> building... ]

We haven't left yet, we're just hiding.

> Just to clarify a couple of points:

Time to go and grab a beer while the print scrolls down the screen...

> apply blood, sweat, and 500 degrees of heat. That last requirement will
> probably play hell on the rubber in the crank pulley dampner. 'Red'

This is when ole "mr. blue wrench" comes in handy, NOT your average
propane torch.  Using a small tip, hit the head of the nut until you see
the paint char, and then wait for the heat to travel along the bolt.  It
will destroy the LockTite bite, and you can then grunt it out.

> Both are convieniantly packaged in little red tubes of less then 1/4
> ounce.

And in larger tubes.  The blue stuff would last years without going bad.

> Apply prodigious torque to nut while monitoring the measureing beam.

Well, I just listen for the "click", but if you're really prodigious,
and making mindless incoherent gunting noises, you'll never hear it

> Torque load goes through motor, through fourth gear in tranny, through
> the differential, overpowers the parking brakes for the rear axle, the

Hmm, why not just jam the ring gear??

> rear tires begin to rotate, the car teeters off the floor jacks and

This is when you are supposed to roll out from under and run.

> drops the car on my chest. I could have had the SO in the cockpit

No, no, you didn't roll fast enough.  Now you can't even yell at the SO

> mashing the brakes but that would have just added to the weight of the
> spoiler hittin my chest.

Yah, but with no oil in your shocks, it'll just bounce right off.  Just
get out before it slams down again...

> RCHs over 7/8's. I wasn't too worried about snapping something off.

The issue's not snapping it off, but applying the correct amount of
torque to hold the bolt in position.  When you torque a bolt, you are
actually stretching (elongating) it, and it tries to return to it's
original length, thereby jamming its' threads against the threads of
the hole it's in.  The larger the dia., the harder it is to torque.

(RCH? I've always pictured the original Whitworth as a red-haird Irish
> lass named Wanda).

RCH??  I always thought it was a BCH; but I guess the colour is a form
of size grading...  Wanda.  Hmm, shades of Monty Python, et al.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen