Re: MGC & Crank Pulley: Greater Specifidity

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: MGC & Crank Pulley: Greater Specifidity
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:01:54 -0500 (CDT)
Robert Allen writes:

> Apply prodigious torque to nut while monitoring the measureing beam.
> Torque load goes through motor, through fourth gear in tranny, through
> the differential, overpowers the parking brakes for the rear axle, the
> rear tires begin to rotate, the car teeters off the floor jacks and
> drops the car on my chest. I could have had the SO in the cockpit
> mashing the brakes but that would have just added to the weight of the
> spoiler hittin my chest.

I don't know nuttin' 'bout no 'Cs, but what are you doing UNDER the
car?!?  With torques that large, I'm gonna be topside, fershur.

Besides, that's what they make daily drivers for.  You just swing the
ol' Volvo around, kiss the MG's rear bumper with the Brick's front
bumper, and put the Brick in gear with the parking brake on.  That 'B
(or 'C or whatever) ain't goin' nowhere.  Twist all you want, but the
bolt will come out (or reach spec torque) before the Brick rolls.

(Oh, god, my prose is starting to look like Bob's...)

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer in pieces, like me
'84 Volvo 245 MG Immobiliser and portable stereo

(witty quote here)