Re: Clutch judder

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch judder
From: Rootes2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
On  Thu, 10 Apr 1997,  GEstep3457@aol.com wrote:

>Subject: MGTF/Volvo Conversion...Clutch judder

>When I bought the car a clutch judder problem was the main reason the chap
sold  >the car. His wife just couldn't drive it, and it was supposed to be
her car. I
>drove it that way a long time, and then finally replaced the clutch disc and
>pressure plate. The problem remained! As a matter of fact, it was worse than
>before.  A friend suggested that with the Volvo clutch, and MG mechanism,
the
>throw might be too short, thus allowing the components to come together too
>rapidly. I put it up on his hoist and I relocated one of the clutch rods to
>make a longer throw. That did help a bit. I'm thinking of having a piece
>machined to put in there so I will have a lot more control over throw
length.
>Anyone have thoughts on this?
>Happy driving. Gary

A very interesting thought... my 58 Magnette has a pronounced clutch judder,
which I had assumed to be from disuse. However, the car has the wrong style
slave cylinder, possibly from an MGA or B. The original Magnette slave bolts
on top of the bell, with a release fork through a hole on the top of the
bell. A PO must have replaced either the front case cover or the trans itself
with a different unit. (Haven't gotten close enough to the tag to read it!)
Maybe the slave setup is my problem, too.

Jon Arzt                Rootes2@aol.com

58 MG Magnette (saved from the crusher)
66 Sunbeam Alpine
67 Sunbeam Camper
72 Plymouth Cricket (LBC, through and through)