Re: Bearings of alternator

To: Michael Hartwig <mhartwig@odin.cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bearings of alternator
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:30:06 -0700
Michael Hartwig wrote:
>  Is bearing replacement something I should try myself or
> should it be left to the pros.

I've done it myself, although some bearings are pined in, which can slow
you down. But most of the time it's easy.
I'm not sure if 'pined' is the right term- what I mean is when
they take a punch and dimple the area around the bearing (once or twice,
usually) to crush against the bearing.

> Also, if I was able to get a size, could
> someone recommend a place where I can find replacements, or is this
> impossible?

NAPA is the best, they can get bearings by size or sometimes by a number
on the bearing. It's best to take them out and bring them to NAPA, so
they can get a perfect match. Most bearings are standard sizes, I've
never had a problem. NAPA is good for seals too, as they can order by
size too, rather than application.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"