Re: Fram Filter for Moss MGA Oil Filter Conversion

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Subject: Re: Fram Filter for Moss MGA Oil Filter Conversion
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:11:57 EDT
So we come full circle on the original question as to which is the proper
replacement filter for the spin-off conversion kit for the MGA.  Using
only Fram numbers for simplicity, we have the following candidates:

PH 3600
PH 43
PH 3614

I looked at all of these over the weekend, since I have this same problem
that I solved unscientifically by using the one that *looked* like the
one that came with the kit (which is the PH 3614).  How do we know which
is right?  The PH 43 says it is for MG's, but I'm sure that refers to MGB
applications.  In the MGA the filter hangs "properly" so anti-drainback
wouldn't seem to be an issue.  An internal pressure relief valve is
required?  Why?  Surely the cotton filter / canister stock setup has no
pressure relief valve.  If it is required, how does one know the proper
pressure, then how do you know if your filter has it?  I looked at the
boxes and found no specifications, beyond recommended applications.

As often happens, the more answers we get the more muddied the subject.
What is the definitive answer?  Where did the recommendations come from
(Barney, I recall the PH 43 was yours)?  Science, or (as in my case)
ignorance?

David Littlefield
Houston, TX