Intro (kind of long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Intro (kind of long)
From: keithw@sand.net
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 20:00:46 PDT
This is probably a re-intro for some of you, as I've been on various
SOL lists before.  My introduction to British cars happened before I was
even born.  My father had a '60 Healy Bugeye.

I've done a little bit of everything with these old cars, and share
the deep passion many on the list understand.

I've got two MGB's, a '68 and a '75.  I also partially own or something
a '64 (mum's car), a '60 Bugeye (not dad's old one, one I found) a
'77 TR-7, and have been responsible for the purchases of MG Midgets and 'B's,
a couple of TR Spitfires, and a '59 Jaguar MKI 3.4 litre.

I'm of the mindset that sports cars are *sports* cars, and I love to
drive in whatever autocross or rallye I can find.  I co-drove a 1275
RHD Mini in a 1000 mile-24 hour road rallye, an abosulte trial by fire
as the first time I had driven a right hand drive vehicle was about
2 hours before the rally started.

I keep looking at the Bugeye and '68 MGB with thoughts of vintage
racing running through my mind.

Below I've included a post I put on the roverheads list.  There's some
info I'm looking for that I probably won't find here (not very often
one discusses MG's and microprocessors), but who knows?

Last sunday I transported the start of my latest MG project.  I've got
a '75 MGB that I've had since I was 16, and it's been through all
sorts of permutations.  I've rebuilt the engine twice, and what
I have now has a DCOE sidedraught and a ported/polished head from
England, along with all sorts of other goodies.  The suspension has
urethane/nylatron bushings, new everything, and a nice sway bar set.

The old beast performs ok for an old pushrod four, but I know that
tweaking that engine means that I can't look forward to too many
miles before something decides to tire out.  I've decided that a
Rover V-8 fits my criteria for a powerplant.  1)  HP   2) lightweight
3) British  4) life expectancy  5)  something the factory did

After some searching and dreaming, and missing some great deals (like
the 3 215's the local race shop had for 19 years and sold the day before
I decided to get 'em), I looked in the paper and saw "Range Rover '91
engine, $950".  I called.  "Is it a 3.9?"  "Yes"  "Does it still have
all the fuel injection on it?"  "No. Um, I really don't know, my
friend pulled it".  Well, ok.  It's an engine.  I go look at it.

Somewhere in the southern Californian desert a 1991 Range Rover with 63k
on it came into contact with a rather large rock.  The Rover did not like
this very much, losing the radiator, fan/clutch, and most of the front
end to the lithical aggressor.  Before sending the beast to the boneyard,
the engine was pulled.

What set before me was a complete 3.9 litre engine, from broken fan
to auto tranny flywheel, with the fuel injection lump still on it.  The
plenum cover had been loosened, and underneath were 8 beautiful little
trumpets, waiting to once again feed the engine.  The engine was missing
a few bits that I'd need:  the airflow sensor (ouch), of course the ECU
is still in that wrecked Rover, and some wiring and so forth.

The engine was purchased, and with the help of some friends, it was tucked
away in a buddy's garage, along side a TR-7/8 five speed gearbox (like I
said, I want to keep the conversion British), awaiting some other bits
and refurbishing to find it's way into my old 'B.  So the plan is to drop
the V-8 and five-speed into my converted-to-chrome bumper(less) Sebring MG.

There are some bits of advice I could use.  The inside of the plenum
cover and the rocker cover are dirty.  I'd like to pull the engine apart.
I know there are many variables, but what should I expect with 63k on
this powerplant?  How far will a rebuild have to go?  New this and that, or
massive machining?

I need information on the lucas hotwire injection used on the Rovers.  Besides
needing a functioning ECU, I'd love to get my hands on a questionable
(cheaper?) one and pull the ROM and read it.  What processor does this
system use?

"safety fast"

-Keith Wheeler