Re: Tuning Woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Tuning Woes
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:10:48 +0000
Todd Mullins wrote:

> John McEwen writes:
>
> > On a motorcycle, when any changes are made to increase the flow of exhaust
> > gases, the carbs must be richened to accommodate the increased air flow
> > through the engine.  You may have created an excessively lean engine with
> > the new system.  While you can adjust it at idle, the carbs cannot
> > accommodate higher revs.
>
> I must disagree.  Within a certain usable range, the CD nature of SU
> carbs automatically compensates for changes in flow.
>
> Right?
>
> --
>
> Todd Mullins
> Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast
>
> '74 MGB Tourer, ugly, but back from the dead
>
> (witty quote here)

My experience causes me to disagree.  The previous owner of my V8 had
fitted a non-standard large-bore straight-though system.  I soon
discovered that maximum accelleration could only be obtained if the
choke was fully pulled out.  When that system rusted through I fitted a
standard system, now application of the choke has no effect at full
accelleration, which is noticeably less than before.  Shame, really, it
was like having an after-burner.

PaulH.