Re: Brake Servo Installation

To: gumby@joshuanet.com
Subject: Re: Brake Servo Installation
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:35:29 -0500 (CDT)
Jim Boyd writes:

> 2.      Should I connect this new system to the old brake lines, as in still
> keeping the one brake line sytem?          Or should I go ahead and make the
> two separate circuits, as in the late model MGB systems?

Make every effort to use the dual-circuit system, for safety reasons.
If one circuit goes out, you'll still have half of your brakes.  When it
comes to brakes, the safer the better.  And don't think "It'll never
happen to me...".

> 3.      How do I know for certain that the servo is functional and doesn't
> require re-building?  What parts wear         out in a servo?

1.  Get into the car.

2.  Press firmly on the brake pedal.

3.  Start the car.

4.  If you feel something helping you push down on the pedal when the
    motor starts running, the servo is working.

The diaphragm can rupture inside the servo.  Other than that, I don't
know.

> 4.      When bleeding this system, do you need the engine running; does the
> servo have to be         functional for the system to bleed properly?

All the servo does is help you push on the pedal.  It doesn't do
anything with hydraulic fluid.

> 5.      What difference should I anticipate with the addition of a servo to
> my existing system?

I don't know; you didn't state what your existing system was.  If I
assume that it's a stock '67 system, the biggest difference will be the
reduced pedal pressure required for stopping.  The second biggest
difference will be the addition of one more system to fail.

--

Todd "I like the non-servo twin-circuit system myself" Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with stock hydraulics and semi-met pads

(witty quote here)