Re: Now the bad news, tech questions

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Now the bad news, tech questions
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bill Eastman!!

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Bill Eastman wrote:

> When I drove my car home form Iowa last fall, I noticed that the oil
> pressure dropped after some time on the freeway.  This weekend I had a 30
>
> Am I missing anything?

Many years ago, our '62 midget exhibited the same symtoms.  The
recommended fix (by a BMC mechanic) was to replace the oil pump, and to
replace the camshaft bearings.  The pump on general principals, and the
camshaft because he said that was the greatest chance of this type of
pressure loss IN AN OTHERWISE HEALTHY ENGINE.

Note that the midget didn't have an oil cooler.  I ran the thing hard on
the highway, and stopped to put a long, thin industrial thermometer
(used in a pulp mill steam plant, loaned by a friendly steam engineer)
down the oil dipstick hole.  It read 230 degrees F., and the water was
190.  I have no idea what the temp range of other cars is, because I
gave the thermometer back and haven't tested anything else.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen